Update Leemba on Terracotta6/26/2010
Just a quick update to this post : it's pretty awesome.
I've spent some considerable time adjusting Leemba for Terracotta, mostly running down missing locks and various performance tweaks. With about 20 services per second, I started at a load average of over 25. But now the load is negligible. :-)
Of course, the culprit was calling out to the native fping. I was a bit surprised, I figured Linux would cache fping and it wouldn't be quite so terrible. So now there's now a preference to use Java's isReachable() instead.
I'm happy with performance for now. It's down to no more than 20% cpu utilization between two clients and two Terracotta servers. That could be vastly improved by working to use multiple schedulers , but for now I'm waiting to see what the next release will do for performance.